Tuesday, November 03, 2009

I Knew it Would Happen Eventually

Once my friends found out we were moving to Nashville, they would say things like, "Oh, I can't wait to hear the girls and their cute little accents when they get older." My hope was that it wouldn't happen so long as Corey and I continued to speak our bland, Midwestern English at home. I was still nervous with the evil outside influences, namely school.

Last week, I heard Ella on the playground shriek, "Y'ALL NEED TO GIT OUT OF MAH WAAAAY!"

Corey and I looked at each other in shock. I told him, "Oh HELL no. We need to nip that in the bud."

A little bit of me died inside that day.

9 comments:

ClumberKim said...

I can relate. Oliver recently told me something "needs fixed". He's a little yinzer for sure, but he'll talk like one over my dead body.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I was born in the north but I grew up in Tampa.

One time I caught myself saying "ya'll".

One. Time.

Never again.

red pen mama said...

oh, yeah, the first time one of my girls says 'warsh' or 'yinz', we're going to have a chat.

Good luck. I think you're going to be raising a couple of southern belles!

ciao,
rpm

kimmyk said...

this just made me laugh out loud.

Anonymous said...

Brendan said "aboot" last night at dinner.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M Hastings said...

Haha my parents had the same problem with my siblings!

Chandana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sphinx said...

so what happened to you? i was just starting to enjoy you writing and you disappeared!