Friday, February 27, 2009

Marriage and Mermaids

Last week, we were all in the car when Ella asked a question I had been dreading.

"Mommy, when can I get married?"

"When you're 30," I said.

"How about when I'm 39?" said Ella.

"Even better."

"Or, when your post-graduate studies are completed," said Corey.

I looked at Corey. "But I never completed a post-graduate program."

"Well, you shouldn't have gotten married."

"Nice."

"But Mommy, Ariel was 16 years old when she married Prince Eric. Why can't I get married when I turn 16?"

"Well," I said. "That's because Ariel was a mermaid. You're a human."

"Yeah, but she got legs and became a human."

"Yes, Ella, but she was BORN a mermaid. Even though she got legs, she was still a mermaid, so that's why she got to get married."

I turned to see Ella with her arms crossed and a, "hmph" look on her face.

"Well, when am I getting swim lessons?"

"Soon," I said. "But that isn't going to make you into a mermaid. You have to be BORN a mermaid."

And then a fight erupted in the back seat when Genna piped up by saying in a sing-songy voice, 'You can't get married, you can't get married."

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

did you pull over and let corey out?

Misfit Hausfrau said...

Ha! Unfortunately, he was driving.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Dude. Somebody needs to tell her that marriage is overrated.

I mean - I like it, but being single in college is way better.

Tell her that. Her Dad will be ALL ABOUT her getting married at 16.

Stevo said...

That is freaking awesome.