Sunday, January 27, 2008

She Just Can't Pass Up Pushing a Button

A few days ago, Herr and I picked up the girls from daycare. After about 10 minutes in the car, we suddenly heard Ella SOBBING in the back seat.

"What is the matter, Honey?"

"But, but, GENNA said that the moon is hers and it can't be mine, so I can't look at it out of her window and I can't see it out of miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeee."

Oh course, my reaction is fairly typical for me when faced with this constant nonsense: "Are you KIDDING ME Ella? How OLD are you?!"

*sniff* "Five."

Then I look over at Genna, who is smiling like the Cheshire Cat and making a "heh heh heh" noise.

And then I turned around, looked at Herr, and started to quietly laugh in the sleeve of my coat so the girls wouldn't see. Then I got all stern and told Genna that she is going into timeout when we get home and I inform them both that the moon belongs to everyone.

This sort of game occurs every single day. Ella is the sweet innocent antelope grazing in the savannah, and Genna is the cheetah, going in for the kill. Genna lives for pushing Ella's buttons and driving her to the brink of insanity and she isn't even 3 yet. Ella has been 5 for a couple of months and she continues to fall for it and not stand up for herself. Ella's immediate reaction is to start crying. I have told her to pretend that Genna is an annoying mosquito and that she should just ignore her. But she can't. I have told Genna to stop being mean to her sister. But she can't.

I don't know, maybe this is just the way it is for siblings. I hope not. I don't think I will survive their teenage years if this doesn't stop.

6 comments:

M&Co. said...

Oh man are your next 15 or so years going to be long!

Lumpyheadsmom said...

I love that Genna knows she's being a little devil. Love it.

Andie D. said...

My kids do it too. Ben is constantly asking Fifi to go away. Then Fifi gets all dramatic, "Mooooooomy! Ben asked me to go awaaaaaaay! He doesn't looooooooooove me!"

Anonymous said...

Tell Ella Uncle Jeff said to "Buck Up".

Anonymous said...

Yep, mine are 3 and 6 and playing that game full force. At least when the 3yo gets older, we can ask them *both*, "How old are you two?" Of course, then they'll band together with a common enemy (me).

Cheryl Lage said...

This post made me feel oh-so-much better! (Although it may not help you feel better...my twins are six, and going at it full-bore.)

The teen years have me right-panicky as well...glad to know we're not alone.

Great blog -- happy to have found it!