Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Getting to Know You

So, we moved to this nice Ohio town a month ago from New Jersey. I can tell you that the reception we have received here is QUITE different than our arrival to our old house in New Jersey. While I was raised in the midwest, I have been away awhile. We have been completely taken aback by the stream of neighbors who have come by bearing gifts of brownies and chocolate cookies. They are all quite friendly and seem sincere. Some have even offered up their teenage daughters as babysitters. They've also been very eager to find out if we go to church. If not, we are welcome to attend theirs!

This was our reception when we moved to our previous home in New Jersey.


Do you hear crickets chirping?

In all fairness, our neighbors in New Jersey were all over the age of 70 and didn't really leave their houses much. Charlie and Arlene were in Florida when we moved in and we didn't meet them until we had lived there for 3 months.

But STILL...

Call me a cynic, but I can't help but wonder what these neighbors of ours are hiding. Maybe I have watched one too many episodes of Desperate Housewives or Melrose Place, but I know that behind those cookies and brownies are secrets. Big ones. Out of the 170 homes in our subdivision, at least a few people MUST be swingers. There is a man in our neighborhood who HAS to be wearing women's underwear.

That certainly makes meeting the neighbors interesting...

3 comments:

c said...

Dude, if you find the cross-dresser, let me know. That's fun stuff.

The minute one of my neighbors found out that 1.We didn't attend church and, 2.I wasn't Catholic, all contact ceased.

Nice.

Thanks for stopping by, and yes, we do have a lot of work to do!

Pinterest Failures said...

Hey Misfit-

You are right on about the church thing. One neighbor asked us if we were "churched". And I am certain English is her first language. I am sure the befuddled look on my face was a sufficient answer.

LoryKC said...

LOL!
I had heard about the friendliness in the midwest but thought it was one of those urban myths!
Then we moved right smack-in-the-middle of it all! Kansas! I don't know about "mid" west but we are certainly in the middle of the USA!
Anyway, hubbie is in the Army so we've moved a couple of times and this is the only place people brought us food--just knocked on the front door--and introduced themselves! (We even got a Papa Murphy's pizza the day the moving van pulled up!)
(This is also the first place I've heard the word "churched!")